A neophyte's guide to instrument care

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gordon Stanfield on June 13, 2003 at 11:36:19:

I have just recently started back into the Wonderful World of Tuba. I was pretty good in high school and paid my way through college on music scholarships. However, I got married right out of school and had to enter the "real world." Alas, no more time for tuba.

I picked up a few church gigs along the way, but nothing serious. Now my son had taken up the instrument and looks like he is going to be a really good player (probably a lot better than his old man!) This gave me a great excuse to do some father-son bonding by helping with his high shool band and playing in a couple of local ensembles. I bought him a nice little Amati and even lucked into a pretty good Mirafone for myself.

So, to make a long story short (too late, right?) we both have pretty good horns now. In the past I've always had to borrow horns that could best be described as "bangers" and more accurately were just this side of "wall hangers." So can any of you more experienced players help out a relative newbie? I am looking for suggestions on the best way to maintain rotary valve instruments. What lacquer polish works best? I know...the best thing is to strip the lacquer and use Wright's Brass Polish, but I am planning to hold off on that at least until the horns get broken in! :-) What is the best way to oil the valves? I've always played pistons, so you just unscrew the cap and put the oil on the piston. I've heard several opinions on bottom-oiling vs. top-oiling, etc., and I'd like to hear what your experience has been. Finally, how often should one flush out the horn and what are some recommended methods? No Tidy-Bowl jokes, please.

I apologize for the length of this message and appreciate any advice you can offer.
Thanks.

Gordon "who will never beat any of you in an audition, but loves to play" Stanfield

Follow Ups: