Re: Top-Quality BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on June 12, 2003 at 07:49:52:

In Reply to: Top-Quality BBb's posted by Beef Latter on June 06, 2003 at 20:38:17:

I believe the best-quality BBb tuba available anywhere today is the Rudolf Meinl Bayreuth model 5/4 BBb tuba. It is a computer-redesigned version of their already-great 5/4 BBb, with solid nickel-silver rotor casings, two interchangeable leadpipes, a 2nd valve slide trigger, and other goodies that make it a most wonderful instrument to play.
This is the instrument that won the German Musical Instrument Award in 1998. Each year the Trade Ministry holds a contest for the German instrument manufacturers, announcing what the test instrument is for that year. In 1998, it was the 5/4 BBb tuba. By the way, the last I heard was that Herr Meinl had a hot contender for this year's contest - a piccolo trumpet that a lot of players like.
The Bayreuth model BBb tuba is now the official tuba of the annual Bayreuth Wagner festival, where David Glidden of the Frankfurt Orchestra plays the contrabass tuba parts with this horn. To my knowledge, there is presently one Bayreuth model in the US. With case, mouthpiece and shipping, they cost about $15,000.00.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: