Re: Besson serial/model #'s

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 12, 2003 at 00:22:27:

In Reply to: Besson serial/model #'s posted by Paul on June 11, 2003 at 21:00:15:

There is a serial number search on the Musicgroup website, that will let you find the year of manufacture, linked below. Musicgroup recently bought the musical instrument section from Boosey and Hawkes.

Besson has been using six-digit serial numbers since before WWI, and I think they are still using them, so your description doesn't narrow it down much.

There was a period right before the Soveriegn model was announced when Bessons were unmarked as to model. I have a euphonium from 1974 that is obviously a top-of-the-line instrument (or was before being battered to near death). It is visually identical to a current Sovereign except for two water keys and the bell diameter. I'm thinking it was a New Standard, which was the Besson premium model before the Sovereign, but it has a few Soveriegn parts including the large mouthpiece receiver. Your instrument might be the same. If it has four compensated valves, then it is likely either a Sovereign or a New Standard or some combination thereof. The Boosey version of the Besson New Standard was the Imperial. Model numbers I can't help you with.

Rick "who thinks Klaus is a good source for model numbers" Denney

Follow Ups: