Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 10, 2003 at 09:31:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS posted by Carole Nowicke on June 09, 2003 at 23:34:42:

If the 5th valve were in the leadpipe...then the leadpipe would only be longer when the 5th valve was in use. On my 182, at my last lesson with Mark we went over fingering combinations for the low notes, and there was some difference in ease and sound but not really that much, between different fingerings.

Once again....I was not complaining about the F tuba, or comparing F to C, but noting that a reconfiguration of leadpipe to enter "after" the valves is an interesting concept. They might sell more F tubas to Americans. I know at least one pro who really wanted an F tuba but was unwilling to buy one (he can afford a good one) that he couldn't get the sound out of, _before_ he paid for it.

No, the horn does not sound the same on the Bb side as the F side; this is one of the challenges for horn players....to make the transition between the two sides sound as if you are playing "only one horn." The Bb side is more "honky," and the same air flow/embouchure, especially in the low range, will produce a sharper pitch as on the F side. As one becomes more skilled on the horn, the embouchure/air adjustment is automatic when changing sides of the horn. This skill is important to open up the full range of fingerings.

MA

Follow Ups: