Re: Top-Quality BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 07, 2003 at 11:25:08:

In Reply to: Top-Quality BBb's posted by Beef Latter on June 06, 2003 at 20:38:17:

First I would look for an old Conn Grand Orchestral, Holton 345, Martin, or York. If I couldn't find one of those, since they are relatively rare, and money were not an object I would go with the Miraphone 1291, although since money was an issue for me I bought a King 2341. The 1291's that I have tried have been among the best playing horns that I have experienced, and they can be had with a 5th valve, while the King can't. I just couldn't justify the extra cost vs. the King 2341 that I bought. After 2 years I still enjoy playing the King every time I pick it up. A 5th valve would be nice, but I didn't find it to be worth the extra cost for the amount of use it would get. Frankly I think that my King should be the only tuba I will need (as an amateur). It works well for small to large groups, both indoors and out.

I've never seen a Gronitz PBK, but would love to try one of those. I never liked any of the Willson BBbs that I have played. I find them uncomfortable to hold and play and not very responsive.

Follow Ups: