Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Denis Wick euphonium mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 05, 2003 at 16:49:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Denis Wick euphonium mouthpieces posted by K on June 05, 2003 at 16:07:51:

Oh, I don't know. I think you are being a bit too hard on us occasional doublers. Tuba players who want to play euphonium to the level of a euphonium artist are surely in for a disappointment unless they are truly gifted and work very hard. But that is a tough standard even for euphonium players to meet. On the other hand, I can play lots of music written for euphoniums, on a euphonium, and generally sound like a euphonium player to a greater extent than many hobbyists who only play euphonium. As long as the music isn't too high or too complex, I can manage. But "manage" is a far lower standard than being an artist.

For example, I found that I could play my euphonium in brass quintet, subbing for the trombone player (with a tuba player covering my tuba part), on pieces that were written for euphonium on that part, and do better than the trombone player we had at the time. The distance from F tuba to euphonium was, therefore, a bit less than from trombone to euphonium, at least for the two of us.

Getting a characteristic sound on a trombone is far more difficult for me.

Rick "who thinks that doublers are rarely expected to perform at the artist level on their secondary instrument, and are usually needed to play some relatively easy notes within an ensemble" Denney

Follow Ups: