Re: New tuba for HS band - recommendations?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on June 04, 2003 at 22:24:11:

In Reply to: New tuba for HS band - recommendations? posted by Jim C. on June 04, 2003 at 12:12:28:

Well, I just could not resist.

I loved my high school's 186-4Us. They are great horns and they are still in use along with another half dozen
Mirafones purchased by the school district some thirty-five plus years ago. Mirafones can be rebuilt as many times as most any other tuba on the market as long as the work is performed by a skilled repair technician. Rotor valves do keep the "Mr. good wrench handy man tuba players" at bay but the levers etc. are fragile and are easy to mess up with out even trying and that includes the MW. Repair of the typical types of damage on these sort of instruments can also be more technicaly involved then many shops would care for. Rotor casing ports are also a problem when they are damaged because if a leek should develop between rotor casings the whole thing has to come out and be properly addressed, aka Big bucks repair. there are a lot of good things found in the rotary instruments but we are talking budgets and expenses balanced with quality and performance. Having repaired and rebuilt a lot of tubas over the years, I stand with others and say that if I were ordering horns, the King 2341 is the best horn for the job. They have good thick brass and are durable, pistons are a simpler fix, parts should be a no brainer. They play well in tune, have a good tone and are a manageable size.
As for pistons that stick, the kings pistons can be sticky as can any other make and model but that can be corrected if it is the case. If the band program performs proper maintenance (like they should) the valves will be no problem. Its simple, keep them clean and in a good state of repair and please!!! don't put good instruments in the hands of those who fail to recognize there good fortune in having a nice tuba to play on.

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com

Follow Ups: