Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 04, 2003 at 15:49:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by Rick Denney on June 04, 2003 at 11:44:43:

I think the reason it sounds like a sales pitch is because the guy selling the trip to them is a salesman. Usually a pretty bad one at that. Mainly because he/she is selling nothing more than a "Bill of Goods", no real tangible item other than an abstract idea based on an itenerary. If your average Band Director Mr./Mrs./Ms. X had a good business mind he/she could plan these trips on their own and probably save a LOT of money. Getting in touch with an honest travel agency and booking a performance venue would save thousands of dollars. The problem is that this "Band Trip/Educational Experience/Escape From Parental Rule/Free Trip For Director/Guaranteed Trophy" salesman guy is offering an easy fool-proof one stop package.

I know some directors do organize these trips themselves or with the help of networked professionals who know what they are doing. Usually these directors also have a better plan for these students as far as a real educational itenerary. They organize these trips with a business plan. The trip has a real purpose for everyone involved and the horizon-expansion card probably doesn't need to be dealt.

I know that this trip is a way to attract and retain some students. Usually the wrong ones. I know that directors are in need of a tangible item, i.e. trophy, to prove to their ex-football coach principal that they are doing their job. I know that these trip are possible of affording these students with a experience they might not get other wise.

However, how many High School kids really want to go to europe? Do they really know why they want to go? I suspect a few do, but the vast majority does not. I haven't gone to europe yet but I plan on doing so. Hopefully when I do I will know why I am going, what I want to see, and the significance of seeing it. I don't see a lot of teenagers understanding why it is important they are there. That applies to other things as well. If some kid from Left Elbow, Arkansas goes to NYC, what do they expect to see? What will really impress them? I'm willing to bet it is mostly stuff that in 20 years they would think is fairly trivial.

I would love to ask one of those tour salesman/coordinators if they were in band in high school, where they went, and what their experience was. If they could come up with a real answer and not bs, they might be legit, however, I don't think you'll find that in most cases.

I wonder why the local high school soccer team doesn't go on a trip to europe or south america every other year? I'd bet because the majority of those kids get enough experience from playing with local rivals, or at least within state boundaries that they don't need much outside experience. And yes, I have heard of soccer teams going out of country, but far, far less than most bands.

Matt G

Follow Ups: