Tuning to A440?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on June 04, 2003 at 10:37:04:

I understand the "standard" tuning pitch of A = 440Hz and I have no problem with the notion of tuning an A string, then tuning the other strings at relative intervals. What I don't understand as well is the notion of A=440 when we're tuning brasses, or a whole band, to Bb. I guess what that means is "tune the open bugle to the right length to play Bb, where that Bb is the right frequency, relative to A=440Hz. Discussion? or is my ignorance showing?

Second order question: What do you do about other-than-Bb instruments? For instance, I play a Mirafone Eb. The conductor likes to tune 'from the bottom up'. He'll ask me to play the Bb and we'll check it on the tuner, then run up through the instruments tuning by ear. The note I play is the Bb on the second line of the staff, which I can pretty well play in tune according to Korg by pulling the tuning slide about a half inch and making sure I give it good breath support. What nags at me is - why not tune my horn on the Eb? If you tune a band, what do you do? What do they teach in conducting classes?

inquiring minds, you know...
John (who's not real busy this morning) Breyer

Follow Ups: