Re: Re: Re: What do you consider "good intonation?"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on June 03, 2003 at 23:33:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What do you consider "good intonation?" posted by Doc on June 03, 2003 at 16:16:14:

After finding the "right" mouthpiece, great. I hate to use this term, but that horn just 'felt right' from the outset.

When I first played the horn, I used a Mike Finn 3 and the sound just jumped out. The high register was something to behold and the low C really easy to play. On top of that, the valves were pretty good. I made the valves better by polishing them. Since I'm a repairman also, I knew what to do there. I went to a JK 4B for a short time and then tried the Mike Finn 4 which is for F tuba. It really works well.

I guess you can tell I really like the horn. I now have a matched pair if there ever was one. I have a MW 2000 and the 45 SLP. They are so much alike. The thumb ring and trigger are in the same location, the 5th valve is turned the same way, the slides are configured the same way, water collects in the same places, the finish is the same, the valves are both the big ones, I had to polish the valves to make both have tremendous valve action, and similar notes have the same fingerings.

Follow Ups: