Re: Re: What do you consider "good intonation?"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on June 03, 2003 at 22:13:26:

In Reply to: Re: What do you consider "good intonation?" posted by Christian on June 03, 2003 at 17:05:12:

Thanks. We all have our own criteria and definitions about what is good intonation, and I was curious what the differences are among us BBS'ers. What you and I may call good intonation, someone else may think it stinks, and another think it fantastic. I want to be able to play in tune without it being a tedious process. For me, pulling slides or using alternate fingerings only become tedious if I have to do it all the time, as opposed to just a few notes. I don't want to work my butt off tromboning. I personally don't want to have to lip anything either. I want to be able to correctly buzz the note and have it go through the correct length of pipe. No questionable response that way. I guess if there was a scientific formula for good intonation, like you suggested, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Creating a formula is probably impossible due to the many variables involved with playing an instrument. I'd bet that we're as close as we're going to get with what we've got - length of tubing, bore size, and other basic measurements. BTW - your simple definition is a good one.
Doc

Follow Ups: