Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bass Trombone doubling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MN on June 02, 2003 at 21:57:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bass Trombone doubling posted by I think... on June 02, 2003 at 20:45:03:

no doubt, about that. Air is handled very differently. Lessons from a Trombone or Bass Trombone teacher will work wonders. Its a trombone, after all, not a slide tuba! Interestingly enough, the suggestion I probably heard the most was "relax your air" in reference to the double trigger register. After seriously working on bass bone for about 10 months, my teacher had given me the biggest compliment thus far when he said that I finally sounded like a trombone player. I will still suggest the 59, though -- even many full time bass trombone players consider the 60 to be too dark for some applications, and the high register on it can be troublesome (hence Doug Yeo's design of his mouthpiece). I A/B'd the 59 and the Yeo in front of several trusted trombone players when I was working on the Ewazen last semester, and they overwhelmingly liked the tone of the 59 better in a solo situation. I do use the Yeo most of the time in my Jazz Band and find that although it has a big dark sound it can let the horn really bark when pushed hard. We were lucky enough to perform Sister Sadie several times, and it has a wonderfully exposed part that can never be played too loud (or so I was told). Its nice to see the people in the back of the auditorium look up and take notice when you start playing that groove.

Follow Ups: