Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Voter on June 02, 2003 at 19:04:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by Wrong-o, bub! on June 02, 2003 at 13:28:52:

Good point.

I'm of the persuasion that giving someone something just because I earned something is not right. Why? Because then they do not learn the value of hard work. They also learn that things will be given to them if they choose to be labeled "less fortunate." I'd rather teach someone to swim than carry them to the other side of the pool.

The less fortunate label gets thrown around a lot. Kids, yes, they can be considered less fortunate. Adults, not so much. They've made a series of life choices that got them where they are. Studying and working rather than partying for example. Granted, some people do get into bad situations, but choices are made at those times too. I don't think "tough luck for you," but I do think tough, and I'd rather give a guy a hand than give a guy a hand out.

BTW, did you ever offer a job to someone on the side of the road with one of those signs "will work for food" signs? I've done it twice. They turned me down. I tried to get help moving once, and I tried to get some help with putting up a fence. No luck. They get hand outs, so that is all they want.

Follow Ups: