Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on June 01, 2003 at 20:38:13:

In Reply to: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by js on June 01, 2003 at 13:09:25:

I hope this isn't just another one of your attempts to stir up the BBS, or just to see how many replies you can get. But I will answer your questions as you put them, and hopefully we can have a meaningful conversation about it.

"In the last couple of weeks I discovered that my daughter's (and son's) school band is planning a trip to the opposite coast and our local youth orchestra (daughter again) is planning trip to Europe this year. Uhh... WHY?"

I say, why not? Speaking as someone who got to go on a couple of band trips in high school, I have to tell you it was fun! It was educational, and it was a valuable social interactive experience. Let's not forget also the responsibility that we as students took on, by forming car washes, bake sales, and other fund-raising techniques to raise the needed money. Music in high school is a social activity as well as an educational experience. My band got to go to Disney World, and that was the BIG trip of my four years in high school, and also getting to go to Saltillo, Mexico, which from my home town was only an hour or so by bus. I loved both trips. They were sometimes not fun, but when we performed, man that is something I will never forget. Now, think of the kids I was in band with, that didn't go in to music. They are keeping those memories and when their kids have to choose their "extra-curricular activity" the parents will nudge them into the music direction.

"WHO, several thousands of miles west of our home and thousands of miles east of our home are terribly eager to hear my kids play horns?"

The point is not WHO wants to hear your kids, so much as it is the experience your kids are going to get by travelling to these distant places, and performing in these different venues. I read in one of the other posts that some students got to perform at Carnegie Hall. I have yet to do that, and I don't know that I ever will. Have you played at Carnegie Hall? I am happy that those kids got to do it. Here is hoping I someday get to as well.

"How many of the parents of these kids can afford to take themSELVES to these places, much less their children?"

That is one of the very reasons this idea is so popular. I came from a small town in South Texas, and I had so many friends who never would have gotten to Walt Disney World if it hadn't been for the band. You think they were complaining about the cost? Which, incidentally, is pretty good when you break it all down. I have worked for the Disney company, and I can tell you the break the students get for performing there is pretty darn good. In my capacity at the Walt Disney World Resort, I was one of the hosts for the student groups. All the kids I talked to were excited to be there; excited to perform at Disney World. You can't go 200 miles in any direction from some parts of this country and get that kind of experience.

"How many of these parents will put a financial hardship on themselves (credit card debt / home equity loan / not sufficiently funding their retirement / working too many hours / etc.) to send their children out on rushed-and-little-appreciated trips these "exotic" destinations?"

I think some parents would be happy to go through a little hardship in order to give their kids an opportunity to go to some place they've never been. Others wouldn't. It is a personal thing, so I won't try to persuade you one way or the other. Plus, there is fund-raising, which is how I got to go.

"As a music store owner, I can tell you that these trips that involve airplane travel take unsuspected financial tolls as well. No longer will airlines accept all of this musical equipment as standard baggage without charging double or triple fares, so parents end up shipping instruments to these destinations ahead of the ensembles' arrival. Of course, parents have absolutely no idea how to properly crate up tubas, baritones, horns, percussion, etc., so a large percentage of this equipment shipped back and forth on these trips ends up being destroyed. There is, of course, no reimbursement by the shippers because the parents did not follow the shippers' packaging guidelines."

I can only tell you my personal experience. I have been on trips with high school bands, and I have always seen the band directors in charge of crating the instruments. My band directors always took a hands-on approach to the organizing and execution of these trips. The directors want to have a good performance wherever they are going, so it is in their best interest to make sure the kids pack those instruments right.

"I'm going to get a little more "personal" with you directors at this point. What are your motives for scheduling these extravagant trips? Are you concerned that not as many kids would join or stay in your ensemble withOUT these extravagant scheduled trips? If so, why? What is not being offered by you to these young people that requires a $2500+ trip to compensate for these (either real or self-perceived) shortcomings? In future years, could you possibly strive to make what you have to offer to these young people desirable enough that your ensemble membership numbers and quality will be as high as you need without such extravagant "carrots" to dangle in front of potential members?
In the 21st century, competition is "stiff" for the time and attention of young people. There are sports, video games, church activities, school activities, garage bands, dance, music lessons...and of course...(CELL) phones, instant messenger, ten-year-too-early sexual relationships, rap, satanic bands, drugs, and much more (even academic studies, for just a few)."

I think you just answered your own questions. I would much rather see kids doing something that instills discipline like music, instead of most of the other activities you mentioned. But kids dropping out of school music programs is a concern. I say, use any weapon you can find to combat the kids dropping out of music. I love performing, but getting to perform at Walt Disney World was a real treat. In America, we try to give everyone a chance (operative word there...try) so these trips give everyone a chance to go "on the road" Not just the ones who do well in regional competitions and get to go to State.

"I encourage you school band directors and youth orchestra directors to "sell" what you have to offer to young people, rather than disguising what you fail to deliver by offering some outrageously expensive (parentally-funded) excursions that have absolutely nothing to do with the pursuits and disciplines you have been charged with offering to our youngsters."

I have to disagree here. These opportunites are part of the music experience. Music is fantastic, it is my life's work, but I also acknowledge that kids need to have some other kinds of fun. Not everyone is going to put forth the kind of effort it takes to be a great musician. I have played in some really terrible ensembles, but that is because everyone got a chance, whether they were good or not. That is why it is hard to "sell what you got" all the time. Should the band director just weed those kids out and say, "sorry kid, go to shop, make a birdhouse"? No. I have seen a kid struggle with something, and they look on their face when they finally get it right is amazing. I have come to know that no subject...from academics to the arts is going to be able to survive on its own. Indeed, if we are going to prepare kids for life, teaching one subject to the exclusion of all else for an hour each day, will not work. Life isn't just one subject. Our art is dying because we are trying to keep it like it was prior to this generation. We appear so pompous in our tuxes and shushing people in concerts. Trying to preserve the "ahmbiahnce!" Ambiance is fine, but it was not like that before. I sometimes think it would be better to just relax and enjoy the art, and not take it too seriously. So, getting back to the point, (sorry for the digression) let the kids enjoy their opportunities. I look back fondly on mine, and I know most other kids do as well. Stop complaining about the cost, because that will eat in to their enjoyment. If it is too much money for all these trips...allow one each. And make them work off the cost of it. Make it a learning experience, let little Joe have the "experience" of mowing the lawn! But stop the tirade.

cdo

Follow Ups: