Packing for overseas flights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on June 01, 2003 at 08:32:18:

I am joining a local college concert band on a tour of England and Scotland this coming August. (Hmmm...I suppose I should mention this is a US college.) This will be my first overseas trip, and I have some concerns about my tuba. I have suggested to the conductor/tour organizer that we could, to save trouble and reduce risk, rent tubas when we arrive (we'll need one BBb and one CC). He is checking into this.

However, there's a chance that it won't work out, and we'll have to bring our own. I play a Piggy and have only a gig bag. Conductor suggested that I use one of the school's horns, but this bugs me for two reasons. First, I'd have two days to learn the parts on a BBb (I could do this, but...). Second, the phrase "it has a hard case" fell from his lips, and I think he's putting too much faith in a standard-issue hard tuba case. I've seen how baggage handlers treat things.

What factors must I consider if I want my Piggy to survive this trip? Last trip was a bus tour of the Northwest, and the horn had the seat next to me.

Scott

PS Now that I think of it...I get to go through this for my electric bass, too, but that's less of a problem.

Follow Ups: