Re: Advice on purchasing a C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brendan on June 29, 2002 at 00:19:01:

In Reply to: Advice on purchasing a C tuba posted by Doug on June 28, 2002 at 15:55:21:

I was in the same situation you are a few years ago. I had played the Gregson Tuba Concerto on a school Cerveny (I read all the follow-ups so I know you played the Vaghn Williams) and was fairly content with the sound I had on the horn. However my instructor thought it was time for me to start on a CC tuba.

I had the chance to play a on a G50 for about a week and I didn't care for the horn that much. I went to Custom and played on most of the PT stuff and wasn't too impressed with what they had. However, the next week I went to Brasswind to play on a few Rudy's and ended up leaving with a 188-5U. I had no intention of even looking at a Miraphone. But to me it was, and still is, the best fit for the sound I want to have.

I am not trying to plug the 188, more so just saying that you shouldn't discount other brands because that isn't what so-and-so plays on. You really need to get out there and play on all sorts of horns to get a feel for what you want. It took me a few months to decide on the right horn for me and as far as I'm concerned it was well worth it. I got a horn that I was happy with and it made me want to play more. Besides, loving to play the Tuba is the reason we all do it anyway, Right?

Brendan Bohnhorst

Follow Ups: