Re: Re: Re: Advice on purchasing a C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on June 28, 2002 at 17:39:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Advice on purchasing a C tuba posted by Doug on June 28, 2002 at 16:21:07:

Doug,

I just sold my PT-4. I had it for about four years. Mine was a rotary and I loved it. I might suggest also is the newer PT-20 CC. This is a 4/4 CC but a little bit bigger than the PT-4. I played one at custom and it is very much like the PT-4 but might have more uses since it is bigger. This is like the Conn in a way since it has a body like the PT-4 but a larger bell around 19.5-20 inches. Both the PT4 and 20 come in either rotary or piston versions depending on what you like. I think the piston ones are about 500$ more. The only drawback I found with my rotary one was that it had a bit of a reach to get to the first valve slide. They would be easier if they had a handle on the slide. The piston horns do not have this problem. The only other problem with Custom is that they tend to want top prices for their instruments. They are very good but it is hard to get a bargain from them. The sales staff are very good but the problem is mostly the owner.

I have played a lot of other horns and I think the B(AT)S tubas are right up there with the best of em. I sold mine due to job loss relating to sept.11th. I had to decide to keep one. I had the PT4 and a Willson Eb. I chose the Willson Eb and I now only play Eb tuba. I still miss my CC but the Willson Eb is a better all around tuba for what I do.

Good luck,

-Jim

Follow Ups: