Re: Re: Re: Extreme high range on tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on June 24, 2002 at 19:40:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Extreme high range on tuba posted by Rick Denney on June 24, 2002 at 18:14:22:

Hey Rick, you made me start thinking (I know, dangerous to society!).

"who thinks few players can make a tuba sound like a tuba much above the bass staff"

Just wondering what "tuba sound" you are looking for. I'll admit I was originally turned off by Patrick Sheridan's stuff, due to it sounding like, to me, a euphonium. At the time, my range extended at max to high Bb, and that sounded like you know what. I just figured that was the nature of the instrument, and tuba solos should "sound like a tuba" ie-in or below the bass staff.

To my ears, a trumpet and a trombone sound alike, as long as they are palying the same not in the same octave. Similarly, as long as a euph and a tuba are playing the same note, for all practical purposes, they sound alike. Hence why the euph is a tenor tuba, followed by bass and contrabass. They are all tubas, right?

While i've heard some tubas sound like canaries with gas in the high range, i think hte "euph-like" sound that Patrick Sheridan has is a tuba sound, just a *high* tuba sound.

Or am i nuts?

Doug "my tuba can go high and sound good, but i can't" G

Follow Ups: