Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I suck!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on June 21, 2002 at 09:19:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I suck! posted by agree w/you on June 20, 2002 at 19:27:52:

It's up to each individual how much practice is healthy for them. I'm currently studying with a teacher who encourages "number of sessions" over "length of session".. that is, eight 15-minute practice sessions over one 2-hour session, or two 1-hour sessions. This began when I got a new horn, as it's a very effective way of familliarizing yourself with an instrument. After becoming thoroughly familliar with the horn, I found that this practice technique really worked for me.. 10-to-30 minutes of really focused practice, a break of anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, then another session with a fresh perspective, and refreshed attitude.

A year ago it was all I could do to practice 45 minutes a day... I'd write in specific practice times on my schedule that I stuck to as well as I could, and surprisingly enough, I burned out easily. Now my practice time averages anywhere from an hour and a half to 5 hours, 6 days a week, and there's not a single minute that I'm not thoroughly enjoying myself. I still frack notes, I still make mistakes, and I still have to practice like everyone else does, but it's no longer a psychological drain, at all. It took me about 5 years of experimenting to find the attitude, atmosphere, and practice technique that works best for me... as I said in my original post, "balance is the key". That balance will be different for every individual, and the hardest part is finding it.

Anthony

Follow Ups: