Re: I suck!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on June 20, 2002 at 01:01:24:

In Reply to: I suck! posted by Piece of Crap! on June 19, 2002 at 22:12:20:

Dear Piece of . . ,

I'll bet you're not half as crappy as you think you are. You're probably just simply trying too hard. We all know that good paying jobs are few and far between, and that "the bar" (standards) keep getting raised ever higher, every year. That puts a lot of pressure on those who are competing for those paying gigs. I'd suggest taking your woes to a really good teacher. If you're already doing that, a totally fresh perspective may be just the ticket. Find a teacher who can guide you through your current dillemma. Just don't hate yourself if you don't get the gigs, since the odds of landing a really big gig are very narrow. Play the pieces that YOU like. Play in a fashion that makes YOU happy. Do what makes YOU feel good, and if that includes putting the horn away and treating yourself to a movie, then go do it. Claude Gordon used to tell his students not to practice when they weren't feeling good about things (yes, the famous teacher of screech trumpet players). He told his students to feel happy when they're practicing. Try it.

Barry Guerrero (the last person you should listen to)

Follow Ups: