Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: types of teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 19, 2002 at 11:18:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: types of teachers posted by MA on June 19, 2002 at 10:04:33:

You could solve your kicking problem by imagining yourself going fast through the water...

Actually, the problem is poor ankle flexibility. It is extremely common with runners who swim. I've seen many that go backwards when they kick only. My feet are as big as fins, so it isn't a problem for me, heh, heh. But I don't waste energy on kicking--I kick twice per stroke to control my body rotation so that I'm making as small a hole in the water as possible. The sprinters don't have to breathe, and they can waste all that energy splashing their feet. My last swim in "competition" was 2.4 miles long, divided into two 1.2-mile laps. I had just started the second lap when the leaders emerged from the swim. But there were plenty of people behind me, coughing and spluttering their way through a difficult swim, while I actually enjoyed the swim most of all during that long day.

The funny thing is that you can buy swim instruction videos under the general category "feel your way to better swimming" and others under the category "swim techniques for going faster." They oppose one another, but most swimmers find both necessary to some extent. Sound familiar?

Rick "for whom it is fortunate that fat floats" Denney

Follow Ups: