Re: types of teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on June 18, 2002 at 15:48:08:

In Reply to: types of teachers posted by Mary Ann on June 18, 2002 at 10:09:56:

At various point in my development I have needed one or the other. When I was starting off on tuba (switched from trombone to euph, and then on down to tuba) My first lesson was breathing, followed by buzzing, then breathing again because I needed it. For a while this kind of instruction and re-enforcement was what I needed. However, as I started to take that technique for granted, my instruction turned to masstering and devlopment of CONCEPT versus technique.

When I got to college it all started over again because I was suddenly working on things that were much more difficult and much more technical, therefore requiring the instruction of HOW to achieve that level of technique. After I had reached a comfort level, my instruction switched back to having a sound concept of performance.

I don't feel that driving is a good analog to playing. After all, routinely driving fast doesn't make your car faster. However, regular practice at a musical skill will yeild improvement (and this is where that guidance is sometimes needed to attain that basic level of skill). A good structured warm-up covers the foundations of playing, and in the long run will bolster your technique, range, flexibility because you are practicing technique/range/flexibility regularly.

If you are having difficulty with the technical aspect of a piece, chances are that those challenges can be broken down in a daily warmup and tackled "nuts and bolts" outside of the music. That way, the music itself doesn't become a drill or technical exercise, but the technique to attain the musical goal has still been practiced.

SO, basically my answer is that I have needed both at various points, even recently I've had lessons advising me on both issues, and both were very helpful in my advancement. What made these instructions so valuable was not the name of the teacher or the piece of music, but how I took it to the practice room and integrated into my daily routine.

I'm done rambling now.

Dan

Follow Ups: