Re: Re: Meinl Weston Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jailbirdwatcher on June 18, 2002 at 12:06:57:

In Reply to: Re: Meinl Weston Euphonium posted by Lew on June 18, 2002 at 11:34:01:

I purchased mine from The Brasswind, about two years ago for $2895. I think they have gone up a bit in price since then. About $3000 now. Have you played this instrument? They have a tremendous sound and are very hard to overblow, however they tend to play very sharp and usually have some pitch problems with certain valve combinations. Mine really hates the 23 valve combination. Tones can usually be lipped into pitch if you have a good ear, and or the knowledge of which ones to lip down. I suggest that you play test this horn with a fellow musician and a chromatic tuner. Then make your decision. These horns are well made and the valves are excellant. I tried the Besson 967 that everyone raves about, and found it quite easy to overblow, and the quality control was terrible. The slides were out of alignment and the valves were not properly fitted (sluggish and sticky). One suggestion also try a Miraphone Euph. I could also overblow this one but I liked it otherwise. Just my 2 and 1/2 cents worth. Chuck

Follow Ups: