Re: Cerveny CBB 6864MR or Amati

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 16, 2002 at 09:52:58:

In Reply to: Cerveny CBB 6864MR or Amati posted by InkyDaveB on June 15, 2002 at 20:19:57:

I had a Conn International model 97J for the past 3 years, which was a Cerveny 786 with a Conn name. The 786 is the rose brass version of the 686. I was very happy with the horn both in response and sound. The quality of the workmanship on mine appeared very good. Everything fit well and worked well and appeared sturdily constructed. I recently sold it to buy a New King 2341, because after trying the King a number of times I fell in love with the sound and projection that I could get from it. If I could have afforded it I would have kept both. I think that the 686 is a good all around horn. I just wouldn't use the mouthpiece that they ship with it. For me the King was worth the extra $500 ($1100 more for silver) though.

I have only purchased a guitar case form Music123, but the price was good and they delivered as promised. I prefer to buy from a local store where I know who I am dealing with. I think it's worth spending a little more to do so beacuse it is easier to deal with any problems or minor maintenance.

Amati was the Czech State run instrument company that was formed after WWII by the combination of many different companies that existed in the region at the time. Cerveny and Amati were separate companies up until this time. Cerveny was known for their innovative rotary valved horns, especially in the low brass. I think that today they use Cerveny on their rotary instruments and Amati on piston ones, but in the past the distinction wasn't as clear. Here's a link to some more information about the company.

Follow Ups: