Re: Ever feel like you can't make it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Mendoker on June 13, 2002 at 21:39:46:

In Reply to: Ever feel like you can't make it? posted by JB on June 12, 2002 at 15:50:21:

Back when I first got back to the U.S. (I had played in South Africa for three years), I had the very good LUCK of befriending Warren Deck. He was kind enough to start using me as a sub for the New York Phil and because of that, other big free lancing started to happen - Met, American Symphony Orchestra, etc....
Well, I also played in some "local" union orchestras that were certainly not of the caliber of the aforementioned groups. I found myself playing at the level of whatever group I was in - New York Phil - I sort of held my own; or the local groups - I sank to that level. This seesaw REALLY upset me to the point where I considered quiting.
Now, at this same time, I was also going to Chicago and studying with both Arnold Jacobs and Charlie Vernon. During a CSO run-out to NYC, I had dinner w/Charlie Vernon and explained my upsetment. He gave me advice that I will always remember - "You are responsible to you and you alone. EVERY note you play should be the most beautiful. If you do this, it won't matter what group you're in." That very simple statement turned me and my attitude around. That was in 1985.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Scott Mendoker

Follow Ups: