Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sander 4 valve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 05, 2002 at 09:48:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sander 4 valve posted by Daniel Pain on June 04, 2002 at 18:09:42:

There is only one choice. If it was made in Czecho, and is labeled "Sanders", then it must be a Cerveny. Cervenys are made in Hradec Kralove, near Kraslice (Graslitz in German). That has been a center of tuba making for over 150 years. Cerveny is part of the Amati/Denak group. I have seen Cerveny instruments marked Amati at various times, but they were rotary tubas which I believe is the domain of Cerveny within that group however they are subsequently labelled. Amati's factory (which is in a different location) produces piston instruments.

It gets confusing, to be sure.

Does is look like the picture of the Cerveny 686 above? I know that doesn't help much, because the modern Cerveny 686 is so vanilla looking that it could be made by anyone. Compared the details, including the position of braces and ferrules, the width of the bell garland (if there is one), and so on.

Now you can advertise it as a Cerveny-made Sanders, which should be a good thing.

Rick "who thinks older Cervenys had more unique character in their appearance" Denney

Follow Ups: