Re: Gig bag piston valve protection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on June 04, 2002 at 19:09:01:

In Reply to: Gig bag piston valve protection posted by Patrick on June 04, 2002 at 17:39:56:

I had some leather left over from other projects, so I molded and glued together a cap that fits over the four valves, holding down the buttons when fastened in place. I run a string through a hole in the cover and under a brace between two valve casings to tie the cover in place.

Someone else has a fabric "hood" that fits over the valves, holding them down, with a strap going under the valves and fastened to itself with velcro.

Another approach I considered, but have not implemented, is a "J"-shaped hold-down, with the top of the J covering all valve buttons, and the hook part of the J slipping between two valve casings and under a brace to hold the brace and buttons down. Spring pressure from the valves keeps it in place. Acrylic or polycarbonate scraps from a plastic shop would do nicely, or thin plywood (say, 1/8" stuff for model airplanes) could be used. The top part, if plastic, could, also, be heated and formed around the buttons to keep it from slipping off.

Follow Ups: