Re: Holton 6/4 at ITEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on June 03, 2002 at 07:51:55:

In Reply to: Holton 6/4 at ITEC posted by Phil Hawkins on June 02, 2002 at 21:02:25:

I only played about a half dozen horns there including the Yorkbrunner, Nirschl, Yamayork (Morm Pearson's, not on exhibit) and Phil's 6/4 Holton. Many would consider these as some of the finest horns there but all had problems. First, there is no such thing as a perfectly in tune horn. Sound is a major consideration. While the YamaYork was the freeist blowing, it weighed half as much as the others as they used thinner metal. A major part of the York mystique was the metal they used and I felt Yamaha missed the boat although it is a great horn. Holton did their York reproduction in the 60's and maintained the thicker metal and Phil's horn was a classic example. There are a few patches on the bell but Bob Rusk did a great job in the conversion. It was replated and for the money he wanted, this is a real bargain! I'd buy it in a second if I were looking for a big horn. I'm surprised it didn't sell at ITEC.

Follow Ups: