Re: Re: Re: Re: Circular Breathing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 01, 2002 at 11:37:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Circular Breathing posted by js on June 29, 2002 at 12:49:43:

I would probably agree, though I haven't seen anyone who is good at it try. But this is a contrived hypothetical example that does not represent a good judge of the value of the technique.

I have seen it well-used in examples more appropriate, and I therefore refute the notion that it is by nature distracting and unmusical.

But I do agree with Jay. If it is used musically, it can be a valuable tool, it seems to me, but it is not necessary. But it must serve the music. Any other motivation will lead to trouble. Of course, this requirement can be placed on every aspect of technique. But like every other aspect of technique, it has to be learned cold, so that it can be used subconsciously, beneath the conscious musical expression of the player, or it will be distracting.

I'd be happy if I could play connected phrases even when I have plenty of air. There's a lot of musical progress I can make even without circular breathing.

Rick "who can't do it and who has no intention of trying to learn it" Denney

Follow Ups: