Re: funniest mistake/act of disobedience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 02, 2001 at 12:25:45:

In Reply to: funniest mistake/act of disobedience posted by James McNeil on June 29, 2001 at 13:29:56:

While in high school (I won't admit to later acts of terrorism), we were having trouble getting the rhythm of a particular marching-band step. The drum major thought of a way to expose the flaw by having us all count the step out loud. This proved unsuccessful, because the person who was creating the flaw was screaming out numbers so loudly that he could not hear that he was screaming by himself.

Alas, I'm am not yet cured of that disease, lo these many years later. It is not the only time I have loudly announced my own stupidity.

Less on the mistake front and more in the vein of disobedience, our band provided pit accompaniment for the end-of-year staged "dance" show of the drill team, with whom we had a long-standing enemy relationship. During that show, two of the drill-team members did a ballet-like routine, wearing tights and tutus. On of them was, shall we charitably say, more resembling a larger entity than a ballet dancer. During the final performance of the series, a trumpet player volunteered to shout "Get down!" during a particularly unflattering portion of the dance, if we'd pay him fifty bucks. We assembled a collection, and he fulfilled his service, to the uncontrolled laughter of the band and audience.

The drill-team teacher was right on him, confiscating the booty immediately, and turning it over to our band director as evidence demanding of him the appropriate harsh discipline. When we returned to the band room, he started to apply said discipline, but could not maintain his stern composure and broke apart in laughter. The money was returned to its rightful owner.

But there probably still remains a matronly mother of four out there somewhere, nursing a deep embarassment and still plotting the ruin of a certain trumpet player.

Rick "trying to imagine a Dane with a wild eye" Denney

Follow Ups: