Re: a question for 5 valve Eb players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 02, 2001 at 08:18:04:

In Reply to: a question for 5 valve Eb players posted by Barry Guerrero on June 30, 2001 at 21:47:46:

Hey Barry! Okay, I'm sure you remember from the countless times I've posted on this BBS my positive feelings regarding my Willson Eb. Also, I'm sure you remember my problems with the compensating system, as it is on your Boosey Eb, both from an intonation and an ergonomic standpoint. Remember that I sold my own Boosey Eb to help finance my Willson Eb purchase. Honestly, I've never looked back. Since I am well versed in 5 valve fingering patterns (from all of my CC tubas), learning the 5 valve combinations on the Willson was a piece of cake. I can remember at least two occasions in the FPO where the program of a concert was changed at the last second, unbeknownst to me, and I ended up at the concert site with only my Willson Eb and had to play pieces that were obviously CC tuba parts (Candide Overture, Carneval Overture, etc.). This presented no problems ever. For me, the difference was having a fingering situation I was already comfortable with as well as having an understanding of the conceptual approach that I find makes a 5 valve approach very successful. What sets the Willson apart from every other Eb I've played? It has a huge amount of projection if needed but it doesn't sacrifice the high range ease in the process. To me, this horn plays just like a 3/4 CC tuba except that it has a better upper range and I can make it sound smaller if need be. You should definitely play one before you make any final decisions. I haven't played one of the Gronitz Eb tubas yet but I'm intrigued a little. Right now, the weakest link in my tuba stable is my small Eb and I've heard the Gronitz is a small Eb. I'm sure the opportunity to try one will present itself eventually. Unfortunately, the Willson is not an inexpensive option. But the bottom line for me was that I couldn't play as well on my old Boosey as I can on my Willson. That's all the reason I needed to make the switch.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: