Re: a question for 5 valve Eb players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 01, 2001 at 10:34:23:

In Reply to: a question for 5 valve Eb players posted by Barry Guerrero on June 30, 2001 at 21:47:46:

I play a Willson EEb and do it most of the time, at the neglect of my other 6 horns, including and old York and a Hirsbrunner HB4C. They are all fine horns but the Willson, as I get older (don't ask but I have been playing for 53 years, now), is a little lighter and a little easier for me to blow. I love Willson's response and and tone quality and find a wide variety of mouthpieces work and provide different effects in playing it. From Klaus' answer, I must point out that the leadpipe on my Willson is too high for me (I am (AT)5'10" standing and have somewhat short legs) so I play it on a DEG stand. It must be set up for someone 6' tall or larger.

As for the low fingerings, I have had no problems that practice in low register exercises didn't cure. The thumb 5th on MY horn is set up for 2 whole steps and I find I do some 5-4 wiggling to go from one tone to another with out much 1-2-3 change. I do finger low F# 2-4-5 and that seems a little strange but it is dead in tune. Low Ab works 1-2-5 or 3-5 but is better in tune with 3-5. I think I would now be distracted by having to do reach-across 4 than the all-in-one-hand-5 setup I have. Your mileage may vary on this but that is my experience. I also tend to think of 5 as "0" (as in before 1) rather than after 4.

I do think Ken Herrick's counsel is very good on this but I also think a Willson EEb is effective nearly anywhere a small CC is.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups: