Re: Re: Re: I ACTUALLY attended Curtis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anon on June 27, 2001 at 09:20:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I ACTUALLY attended Curtis posted by Matt G on June 27, 2001 at 06:50:52:

No question one could have learned a lot from Arnold Jacobs in spite of his inability to play towards the end of his life. But I am 17 years old and need a mentor to whom I can listen - I need that immediate "listen/playback" from a teacher - that was the point I was trying to make, and I am pretty sure that you would agree it is an important quality to find in a college tuba teacher.

Furthermore, on the issue of the teacher I mentioned who can no longer play because of some degenerative condition, there was a sense on this forum that his "problem" was being covered up or at least not openly revealed to prospective students, which is far different from the situation of elder teachers like Jacobs or Torchinsky.

Matt, I accept what you say and deeply respect you for it. You made an excellent point about Paul K's rep vis-a-vis the volume of students (although I have also "heard" glowing recommendations for Warren Deck and Chester Schmitz who also have "low volume" studios). I accept that the "low volume" though may be a critical factor in Paul K's not making the "top 10" or whatever.

Nonetheless, I recognize that my posts have been grossly unfair to Paul K, and you have made excellent counterpoints which I and others will take under consideration. But I have to ask you and others: Just where should prospective students turn to find out the reputations, etc., of these different teachers and programs? If it is not on this forum, then where?

Like I said in my other post, there is at least one "top" tuba teacher at a "top" sunbelt university who is a disgrace to the teaching community, and I believe that students deserve a warning about him. I know that you know who I am talking about, and while I would never expect you to sign your name to a post here, Matt, can you honestly say that you have never "warned" a prospective student about this guy?

Follow Ups: