Re: Boston Musical Instrument???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 25, 2001 at 10:09:09:

In Reply to: Boston Musical Instrument??? posted by dennis on June 25, 2001 at 08:00:14:

The Boston Musical Instrument Manufactory, which became the Boston Musical Instrument Company in 1913, was formed by workers from the Graves and Wright companies. Both were known for making very high quality instruments before they merged. I believe that J. W. York, who founded the York company, also worked for this company before leaving to form his own company. They are an important company historically, if only because of the number of other companies that spun off from them. I have seen conflicting information about when they ceased operations, but the best I can tell is that they operated from 1869 - 1922.

Boston Musical instruments was known particularly for their 3 star cornets, which were among the best of their time. They made all types of brass instruments and I believe they were all of generally high quality. I had one of their euphoniums that was very well made and attractive, and a 3 star trumpet that was also well made. I have seen some pictures of tubas of theirs but the ones I have seen have all been in pretty bad shape and I haven't had a chance to play any.

Follow Ups: