Re: Switching Problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 25, 2001 at 06:21:35:

In Reply to: Switching Problems posted by Tracy H on June 25, 2001 at 01:59:19:

While working through the transitional process from reading on a BBb instrument to reading on a CC instrument, you only have your ear as a controlling factor to determine whether you are playing with the right fingerings. And not to forge: With the right intonation.

That makes it important that you play material, that is well known and manageable to you. You can play traditional tunes, pop songs, jazz standards, whatever you like. Preferably ballad type stuff at first.

Maybe you have access to material like this written in bass clef. Most likely you will not have access to much such BC material.

Then you could go to your library and loan whatever relevant material they might have written out in treble clef. Write it out in bass clef transposed 2 octaves down from the original notation.

I am sure, you will look at this as being very boring. It should not be seen that way. If you really have this intelligent curiosity, that your postings point to, then you will soon realise, that this transposing/re-writing process will teach you a lot about almost any aspect of theory. And it will make you very much aware of what you are doing as a musician.

On inspiration by you I have speeded up the process of making bass clef versions of my warm up file. I have made the CC version ready and I will send it to your e-mail address.

The transposition of the file is easy enough in Finale, but there might be some of the necessary graphical adjustments, that still have to be done. Proofing ones own material is very hard, as one does not really read all that well known stuff consciously enough.

The link below is for the site, from where you, for free, can download Notepad, that can read and print my file. Notepad also is a basic note engraver in its own right.

The preface to the warm-ups is in an older Word format.

Other boarders are wellcome to request the CC bass clef as well as the treble clef euph files. But please specify which file.

Klaus

Follow Ups: