Re: Hirsbrunner instruments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C. on June 24, 2001 at 20:58:39:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner instruments posted by Scott on June 22, 2001 at 10:47:46:

I switched from a Holton 4/4 BBb 4 piston (Yamaha actually - all holton did was add some nickle plate & their name) to my HB-6 (5/4 CC 5 rotary) about 16 years ago. I found that the bigger horn (HB) took less air and had an infinitely greater dynamic range. The only real "getting to know you" period was switching from BBb to CC fingerings. Who knows, the Holton may have been a dog - every maker cranks out a bad horn now and again, but I consistently get comments (postiver that is :-) about my sound, and I assure you it is not due to my extrordinary skill as a player. I can also get the "evil eye" (you know, when the conductor thinks you are playying far too loud) ove a 3+ octave range. I've gotten hearing aids to feed back in a few church gigs (an accident, I assure you). The horn is equally responsive at ppp as ffff, it's just my chops that get in the way sometimes d-:

I do agree with other posters that some makes do have intonation quirks, but then again, I guess ANY make of horn has intonation quirks.

In terms of what to get? Get the horn that makes you happy - the one that makes you want to practice more just for the sheer enjoyment of playing. I find that since I got my HB, I've enjoyed playing more than ever. That's what is important, isn't it?

Follow Ups: