future plans for gettin' a starter tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 21, 2001 at 23:36:40:

I've got three or four instruments that I plan to put in very nice condition LATER this year without going the "whole nine yards". I'll be looking at these instruments in the fall AFTER the school kiddies' rental/purchase insanity is over - perhaps November through January.

I would think that these instruments would appeal to a hobbiest, community band, or church orchestra type of person who is "getting back into" playing the tuba.

USED BBb Tubas:

OLDS - 3 front-action pistons, 16-1/2 inch upright bell, about the size of the modern-day Jupiter - a sort of "7/8"-size tuba...You've seen these before. The model is O-99. The pistons have been rebuilt, and not only pass the "pop" test", but they pass the "suction" (ala woodwinds) test. We plan to remove the exterior body dents and refinish the bell and outer body parts, leaving the "guts" scratchy-shiny. (This same model tuba was also sold as "Reynolds - model TB-10" and later as "Bach".)

KING: 3 top action pistons. Model 1160 (I think??) This is a 3/4-size (smaller) tuba. The pistons and main tuning slide were missing, so it now has 3 brand new pistons, caps, and main slide. We plan to sell it in the same condition: Remove dents and refinish the big outer body parts, and leave its interior "scratchy-shiny".

USED BBb Sousaphones - (original/factory) satin silver finish:

King-made "Gladiator" - small - "3/4"-size, gorgeous (99+% intact) gold-plated bell interior with satin-silver body. The valve section is the regular King .687" bore, but the body is smaller and weighs less. This sousa was PERFECT until a dorky customer dented it on the bottom, but we plan to put it back "perfect" (without replating) and sell it all polished up with its ORIGINAL (cute, smaller size) case. (neck and bits included, of course). The pistons have no wear whatsoever, but have the (appeared for a short time in the early part of the century) copper-coated pistons.

Conn 14K - my favorite model 4/4-size sousaphone...long-action valves, .734" bore, ' sounds like a fabulous concert tuba. This one is quite old, is also satin-silver, and had the typical worn and pitted "raw" nickel-silver "never plated" pistons, but they have been rebuilt, nickel plated, and fit perfectly (like the Olds tuba pistons, above). The finish is not quite as perfect on this instrument as on the "Gladiator", but it is at least 95% and we will be removing all dents, polishing this instrument, and touching up the few small worn spots in the silver. (neck and bits included, of course) We can find a used case and make it "decent" to include with this instrument without running up the bill.

Again, we won't be "doing these up until late fall / early winter, but if you're thinking about possibly "getting back into playing" and would like a good-looking "starter" instrument, you might think of putting this post in your "favorites" file for later. Most of the other not-yet-restored sousaphones that we have are spoken for at this time, except for a ready-to-go fiber Reynolds and a fiber Conn 36K. The tubas listed above are probably U.P.S.-able, and the sousaphones might go U.P.S. "in pieces" (bell and body in separate boxes) or cheaply altogether via Amtrak.

I'm already bracing for flames for just posting this, so email me for prices.

Thanks

;^)

P.S.: For "hot-shot" USED "orchestral"-size CC tubas, ask Matt Walters.

Follow Ups: