Re: Re: Re: Warm-Ups

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on June 20, 2001 at 19:30:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Warm-Ups posted by Katy on June 20, 2001 at 18:41:50:

Hi!

I think that most people are mistaking my saying to "learn to play without a warm up" for "you don't need to practice the basics". My complaint with warm up's is that people learn to depend on them. I've been in so many rehearsals where I've heard the words, "oh, sorry, I didn't get to warm up today". When I make a mistake it's 'cause I suck! If anyone has done the sunrise Easter Sunday service while in college and staying up WAY too late the night before...possible playing the Saturday vigil, they know the need to be able to play without a set routine.

I've never met anyone that does long tones as a warm up, and then spends time in their day PRACTICING long tones...I know there have to be people that do that, but I've not heard it in 6 years of college. My feeling is, if you are going to start your day with basics, why call it a warm up? Does the "warm-up" time give any excuse to not sound your best? I do believe that you should be able to sit down and play anything that you are working on from the start. I think that testing yourself with the things you don't do as well right off the bat is a good idea, too! If you approach making music as the first thing you do in the day, you never have to dread practicing. I had so many missed days of practicing in school because I HATED warming up. Now, I go and pick up the horn and start playing. Start with what you like to play, or start with a challenge....everyone is different. Don't neglect the basics, but don't think that because you did 45 min of scales and long tones at the start of the day that you practiced all your basics, either.

ok...enough rambling....please feel free to disagree or add other input...these are the types of topics I find most interesting as I've been on both sides of the fence. Whatever works for you is what's most important, though!

mike russo

PS...tell Ant. I said hi, and that the latest batch of Rudy’s are the best yet!

Follow Ups: