Re: Re: Re: Warm-Ups

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 19, 2001 at 05:37:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Warm-Ups posted by Bryan on June 19, 2001 at 01:22:38:

What you say is true and important. Any present day pro, who wants to keep his job, not to speak of having ambitions of advancements, will work hard to keep his basics alive as the foundation of his/hers artistry.

And then there are other aspects. I am not religious, at least I am not willing to confess to be so. Despite being no member of no church, I have taught a lot of religion in school (and played lots of church concerts). Which in my country needs a fully loyal attitude towards the national Lutheran church. No problem for me, as it was my upbringing. I just did not agree with them. And my main entrance to Christianity has been its Jewish foundation. (No offences intended. Hopefully my quite literal translations of my national terms will hold their intended values).

I have worked closely with South East Asians. So much that they were surprised, how well I understood their way of thinking. When I finally came to the kernel of their thinking, I had to break any collaboration with them. That level of self-serving and de-humanistic attitudes only has its local equivalents among some Christian and Muslim fundamental-ists. The most "funny" of my classmates through 7 years ended up as a priest.

There are tuba/brass contents to this. Despite the elaborate disclaimers above, I must admit that I have a Zen-like attitude towards warming up. Even if I should never use the Zen term, as I know too little about it.

Being a multi allergic is no fun, as all membranes are inflamed always. Only through a very relaxed, laid back, but elabo-rate warm up working through my 5 or 6 octaves, which are basically the same octaves on BBb and Eb basses, bass bones, and euph, can I bring myself into a physically balanced situation, where brass playing is about making music.

If I try to start the day with an attempt of making music through my brasses, then the result is not only musically doubt-ful, but I feel that my playing apparatus is de-tuned to a degree, that need days of resetting exercises. And that despite my quite strong embouchure allows me to play scales (on euph) up the 16th partial within the 1st minute of playing.

Sean on this board has told of the benefits of having had a thorough playing within the last 12 hours. And that counted from any time of the day.

Farah has told of her use of band off hours in front of the TV. Practising.

Their choice of words on basic background philosophies grossly diverge from mine. But I feel that their attitude towards their trade is very close to mine. Even if I am out of music as a trade and never was on a level comparable to theirs.

Sorry for having been very personal. But music making on any instrument should be a profoundly personal matter. Paid or not.

Klaus

Follow Ups: