Re: Any "NEW" comments on the CONN 52/56?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 30, 2000 at 16:17:26:

In Reply to: Any "NEW" comments on the CONN 52/56? posted by TS on June 30, 2000 at 14:47:10:

I can't address the concerns of lack of availability of these fine horns. I have one, so it's available to me on a daily basis.

I'm in the Navy music program and yesterday, on my 56J, I played a 1 hour formal military change of command in a bq in the morning, a 45 minute bq set at a 4th of July celebration outdoors in the middle of a football field, I was the sole tubist in a small concert band of about 40 in a patriotic program pre-fireworks, and a 45 minute dixie set as walking music at the end of the fireworks display. All I can say is this horn was at home in every situation I performed in yesterday. I use a Yamaha Bobo Symphonic for the quintet stuff and get a nice tight sound with a great core with just a bit of bite when I need it. I use a PT88 for the bigger stuff and to add some bass-like "fuzz". It handles just about all I can give it. I especially love the projection of the horn and the impressive size of the tone considering the size of the instrument. People are decieved into thinking it's a big horn due to the large sound and the 20" bell of the 56J (psssssst.....don't tell anyone! It has a .687 bore!)

Up until this purchase, I have yet to own a horn that I loved more every time I played it. I think that's a pretty good sign you've found a keeper when you become more enamoured with a horn after each successive gig.

When you can find one, I highly suggest you give it a serious whirl.

Dave

Follow Ups: