Re: WWII Sousaphones ? (STAR brand?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 28, 2000 at 19:22:26:

In Reply to: WWII Sousaphones ? (STAR brand?) posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on June 28, 2000 at 16:42:03:

The statement that certain brass instruments have been made from used artillery shells might carry a quality of urban legend.

But the fact is, that in early days of brass instruments being produced on an industrial basis, any idea of having special brass alloys made was out of question for purely economic reasons.

Brass instruments were made from standard brass intended for munition cartridges. (Shortage of words might get me wrong. At any rate I am intending to tell of the alloy, that was used for the cylindric powder container).

Back in 1980 the then production manager of Besson on a clinic told, that the standard for that alloy weas nation specific. And the very worst standard was the one of the US. Which was the very reason, why the US trumpets and trombones were very good.

Rick Denney in another discussion ascribed that situation to the fact, that bad brass needed heavier gauge basic sheets to ensure stability and tightness (please correct any misinterpretations Dick!).

Brit tubas are heavy due to the comp system with its long pistons and valve casings. US tubas of the old school are heavy due to unbelievably heavy gauge metal.

Of course pistons versus rotaries is a question of interest. And so is bore. But the sheer weight has made me an addict. Not that I am the body building type. Stands are common remedies for me.

But I love these heavy US/Brit piston basses.

That the US did maintain a brass instruments production during WWII is more or less a surprise to me.

In Denmark the production came to a halt due to pure shortage of materials. (You might read my text about that on http://www.gottfried.dk , where my booklet celebrating the 2nd century of a Danish brass & wind house has been transfered to the net in an admittedly bad translation by a third party).

In the UK Besson/B&H due to its skills in tubing and valving was making the fuel systems for Spitfires.

Klaus

Follow Ups: