Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb versus CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 28, 2000 at 13:30:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb versus CC posted by Marty Neilan on June 28, 2000 at 12:44:38:

It was foolish of me to bring the sousaphone into the discussion, but then that's not the only evidence against me.

Sousaphones have a wonderful, broad, deep sound with lots of fundamental. They also get a lot of sound for a little input. Those are just the characteristics Jacobs admired about his York. If I'm understanding his words correctly, he didn't want a bright-sounding instrument that would contain the same upper harmonics as the trombones, because the tuba would blend too much with the trombone sound and leave too little tuba-like sound in the ensemble. He did use the brighter or more commanding sound in solo situations, but he would often obtain that with a mouthpiece change, according to The Book. So, a lot of what people want in an American-style BAT is the sound they share with a good sousaphone. I think that's true in my own search (which is coming to a close, but I'll report on that later).

Of course, Jacobs never had to go back "on stage" to pick up the mouthpiece and two bits that fell out during a particularly vigorous countermarch. So, there's one difference in the leadpipe!

I should have said something like, "You would not have seen Jacobs playing a Besson Stratford in the Chicago Symphony." I think there's an instrument with truly no redeeming qualities, except as an offensive weapon (both physical and musical) in case one is attacked. At least the one I owned.

Rick "Nomex-encased" Denney

Follow Ups: