Re: Re: how long will band music survive?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on June 27, 2000 at 00:13:57:

In Reply to: Re: how long will band music survive? posted by D. Seebaugh on June 22, 2000 at 08:53:22:

Perhaps the problem lies in who writes for what group. You mention military band concerts; do they frequently play anything modern/contemporary? What if Aaron Jay Kernis, Michael Torke, John Adams, or any other composer who has recently made a name for themselves writing large scale orchestral works wrote for concert band? You would hear
music on the cutting edge of innovation and compositional mastery. However, one does not often hear of a the premiere of brand new contemporary work for concert band by a major composer. Personally, I'm not thrilled by the sound of strings, and although I've written
upwards of ten different pieces for band, I've only written one for orchestra. I see
potential in concert bands for much greater things that they are being used for right now, but my compositional career is still in its very earliest stages, so I wont be able to do much about it for a few decades. See you then...

Follow Ups: