Re: Everything I ever needed to know...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on June 26, 2000 at 09:40:33:

In Reply to: Everything I ever needed to know... posted by Joe Baker on June 23, 2000 at 15:32:43:

Wow...

I have never watched VH1, and had no idea they HAD a 'save the music' campaign. My points were not intended as a PR piece to save music programs, either. I was just pointing out that **FOR ME** there were things **I** learned that have benefitted **ME** more in life than the musical aspects of band. As to appreciation of music, my Dad never took a music lesson in his life, but I've never known anyone who enjoyed music more than he. I'm really not trying to minimize the importance of music in any way (if I didn't value it VERY HIGHLY I wouldn't participate on this list), but rather acknowledging the many other virtues that participation in band gave me.

I will also concur that there are other activities that promote many of the same disciplines and virtues, but most are enjoyed on a team of 'only guys' or 'only girls' or more often 'only tall guys' or 'only big guys with thick necks'. This is no knock on athletics, but just as band won't do as good a job at promoting fitness, athletics don't do as good a job at promoting cooperation. And, of course, this is a music-oriented site, not a sports-oriented one.

Follow Ups: