Re: Best Eb to play VW Conserto on?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on June 24, 2000 at 18:45:52:

In Reply to: Best Eb to play VW Conserto on? posted by Ole Trelvold on June 24, 2000 at 17:35:49:

I don't think it is real critical whether it is a comensating horn or not. There are only 5 places in all 3 movements where either the compensating loops or a 5th valve would be useful. However; it should be noted that these places on the sheet music are clearly in "explosive" places or at the end of the 1rst and 3rd movements. So I guess you need to evaluate which is more critical in these place, intonation or fullness of sound. I would probably elect the 5 valve over the compensating horn. I personally feel the Eb tuba works good for most of this piece; however in few place where the range does go below the staff, you can see the author's intent on it being played on the F tuba. Where the low Gb's at the end of the first phrase of the first movement, and the end of the the last movement move to the low F, where F is the key note. (the strong pedal on an F tuba). This pedal F is also seen as a strong note at the end of the first movement.

Follow Ups: