Re: Re: Re: Any info on new B&S Eb 4 valve ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 18, 2000 at 11:10:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Any info on new B&S Eb 4 valve ... posted by charlie on June 18, 2000 at 09:00:28:

Sorry, I did not find anything with a picture.

I do own a few good instruments made by the old Eastern-Germany B&S conglomerate. They are rotary valve instruments.

As much one should love the quality of these rotary instruments, as much one should be aware of the piston instruments of exactly the same old E-G make. Materials and production facilities did not match the contemptorary Western producers,

As far as my informations take me, there were only piston Eb tubas with the B&S tag. here were Eb rotary tubas of the second line Weltmeister make. Their link mechanisms were more primitive than on the B&S instruments, but ther basic design of tubing came pretty close to the very good B&S tubas. They probably were made on the same mandrels. Which were very different from those of the piston versions.

Even if I can not say anything for sure about more modern instruments from B&S, then I would be suspicious towards the older Eb 4 top valve piston tubas.

Klaus

Follow Ups: