Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is he?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on June 16, 2000 at 17:09:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is he? posted by Jay Bertolet on June 16, 2000 at 16:45:56:

Yes, very interesting indeed!

I think you almost make one of my points in your first paragraph: the amateur gardener, mechanic, computer configurer or musician can do only so much, leaving a niche that can only be served by the expert -- the professional!! Fact is, I don't really want to come install Windows 98 on your computer. It's BORING for me, though maybe challenging for you. You could probably care less about playing some of the literature audiences like to hear for the same reason -- boring for a professional; but the same literature may be challenging as all get out for me!

As to the business end of making a for-profit orchestra work, the trick is to obtain corporate sponsorship (in for-profit ventures, we call them advertisers). Lots of businesses rely on the presence of the arts to attract employees or tourists; put their names in the program, let them put a 'patron of the arts' sticker on their letterhead and publicity pieces. Just charge them big for the privilege.

As to accepting the notion that 'orchestras must be non-profit because the public won't support them', you wouldn't accept the similar statement that 'musicians must be amateur because audiences won't pay to hear them'. What's the difference? Tough question, I know, and it is not my intention to make amateurs out of professionals; on the contrary, I completely believe in the market, and have watched other forms of entertainment work this way (when's the last time you payed for an upgrade for your internet browser?) But SOMEONE has to pay the freight. It should be the people who hear the music and the businesses who benefit from the presence of quality artistic content in the community.

Thanks for all the civil discourse. I guess the evening crowd will be here soon. I hope things stay civil, though I don't anticipate widespread agreement with me.

Peace to all,
Joe "checking back in on monday" baker

Follow Ups: