Re: tuba cutting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 16, 2000 at 15:11:25:

In Reply to: tuba cutting posted by Erik van Wensen on June 16, 2000 at 05:32:41:

It depends on your objectives. If you just want to play with a project horn, then get an otherwise acceptable (but not valuable) instrument and have a go. If you are doing it for yourself, just for fun, you have the right to fail.

This was my position when I cut an Eb to an F. The experience was fun, and it worked (the tuba is an F), but I would not dream of approaching a valuable horn in the same way. You can read about it at the link below. The resulting horn has some fun characteristics, and I'd be happy to use it on an appropriate gig (like, say, a reenactment band), but otherwise the results would be unacceptable to any pro. I skipped most of the steps described by Matt, and turned a nearly worn-out Eb into a nearly worn-out F, with most of the improvement coming from repairing obvious faults (like misaligned valves and assorted leaks). You won't see me selling my Yamaha.

If you want professional results, you need a professional. Not just a professional repair technician who is an amateur instrument designer, but a professional both.

Follow Ups: