Re: play testing instruments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 14, 2000 at 10:50:42:

In Reply to: play testing instruments posted by Dave on June 14, 2000 at 09:50:22:

I've been thinking abouy this myself. I've played horns at exhibits, and have bought two horns off exhibit floors.

Results: One out of two ain't bad.

My strategy on those occasions was to solicit the input of trusted pros who understand my playing. They played the horns, and without telling to buy or not to buy, suggested specific things I should listen for, good and bad. In each case, however, I was targeting a specific horn before the conference.

If I make it to the big tuba stores this year to look at another BBb, I'm considering toting my Miraphone along (and a tuner, and a selection of mouthpieces). I think I'll start with an A-B comparison between my Miraphone and each candidate. I'm hoping that strategy will keep me tuned into my own reality.

It seems to me that the general approach from there is to set aside those horns that cause obvious consternation, and then test pairs of initially acceptable horns, selecting the better of the pair. If I include my current horn in that process, I'll end up with a horn that is better at the things I want it to be better at. Following a process of double elimination will eventually work down to one instrument among that batch.

I think another pair of ears is also important. My sound is so much better in my head than it is in real life that objectivity is difficult.

Rick "Thinking about this just now" Denney

Follow Ups: