Re: Suggestions on a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger B on June 11, 2000 at 17:15:11:

In Reply to: Suggestions on a Tuba posted by Big Steve on June 07, 2000 at 22:02:28:

Big Steve,
I am an aspiring "semi pro" who is also on the lookout for the right instrument. I just sold my BBb and play in both an ambitious community orchestra and a wind ensemble - both paid gigs, but not much more than gas $. Anyway, I would not lock in to a "5 valve CC horn." If that is the instrument that becomes available to you and you like the sound and feel, go for it. If a good BBb comes along, don't disregard it. A BBb traditionally meshes with a concert band better than a CC. The opposite is true of a CC and an orchestra. Your budget will play a factor (or your parents!) so take it easy on them. You are probably 13-15 years old, so your tastes are bound to change. Allow for this. I am looking at CC and BBb instruments - like any major purchase, it can be overwhelming so take your time and talk to your teacher, maybe a university professor, and give David Fedderly a call at Baltimore Brass if you can get ahold of him.
I plan on spending upwards of $7,000, so be assured I won't dive in too fast. Ebay has some great deals if you can catch one at the right time.
My choices right now include the B&S PT-1, the Getzen C50, Miraphone 188, and anything else that seems to be "the right deal." Keep posting and let us know how it goes.
Just my ideas....
Roger B

Follow Ups: